[Histonet] H&E stain protocols

Mayer,Toysha N TNMayer at mdanderson.org
Thu Oct 19 16:46:04 CDT 2017

We have a few questions to ask:
In your H&E protocols, what is your set up after eosin: 70, 95, 100, 100, xylene  x 3or 95, 100, 100, 100, xylene x 3, or another variation?
What brand of hematoxylin do you use? Eosin?
Do you filter daily or at all? Eosin?
How often do you change the hematoxylin? Eosin?
Do you start with manufacturer suggestions for filtering and changing? Protocols?
Carson says one thing, Bancroft something else, and the manufacturer different.
I was taught 80, eosin, 70, 95, 100, 100, xylene x 3.
We filtered on Wednesday, and changed and filtered on Monday.
This was homemade dyes though.
When we switched to Richard Allan we no longer filtered when we changed and then only when a sheen showed up, usually Monday's. The reason was Richard Allan does not require filtering.

Thanks,
Toysha

The information contained in this e-mail message may be privileged, confidential, and/or protected from disclosure. This e-mail message may contain protected health information (PHI); dissemination of PHI should comply with applicable federal and state laws. If you are not the intended recipient, or an authorized representative of the intended recipient, any further review, disclosure, use, dissemination, distribution, or copying of this message or any attachment (or the information contained therein) is strictly prohibited. If you think that you have received this e-mail message in error, please notify the sender by return e-mail and delete all references to it and its contents from your systems.