[Histonet] Water Quality from Lab Gen Checklist distilled vs deionized vs reagent grade water

Morken, Timothy Timothy.Morken at ucsf.edu
Thu Oct 5 13:01:14 CDT 2017

Renee, for practical purposes in histology they are pretty much the same. Note that the original water quality is key because certain things can carry over in each type of system. Commercial suppliers do all the filtering, conditioning and finishing for you.

Deionized (DI) is now the usual water produced in institutions because it is easier to maintain and produces adequate amounts of water. Distillation requires a still and produces relatively small quantities compared to DI.  In our histo lab we have a DI system, but it would be over-kill for a small lab. Buying distilled water will be fine. The company that makes distilled water does all the filtering and finishing for you so it is pure. If really concerned you can buy from a scientific supplier rather than a grocery store. In our EM lab we make up muscle histochemistry stains and  with type 1 water we buy in 1 liter bottles. We have a DI system for everything else.

This is a good article on the difference between DI and Dist. Water:

http://www.labmanager.com/laboratory-technology/2014/09/the-right-water#.WdZwx4TyuUk

Tim Morken
Pathology Site Manager, Parnassus
Supervisor, Electron Microscopy/Neuromuscular Special Studies
Department of Pathology
UC San Francisco Medical Center