[Histonet] cytospin prep

Joe W. Walker, Jr. jwwalker at rrmc.org
Thu Nov 2 11:03:15 CDT 2017

Hi Nina,

How are the cytology specimens collected?  This will play a role in how you process them for evaluation on the Cytospin machine.  We do not utilize the mega funnels.  However, cytology specimens should be centrifuge first to remove any supernatant.  Then equal parts of the Cytospin collection fluid should be added to the cell button and the cell button should be resuspended.  Once resuspended, the amount of specimen that you put into the mega funnel chamber will vary depending on the cellularity of the cytology specimen.  Large cell buttons might require less while small buttons will require more.  If you over load the chamber, you will experience the cell spot/square falling off the slide when staining.  This assumes that you are Pap staining your slides, hence the use of the Cytospin collection fluid.  If you are making airdried specimens for Romanowsky stains, if you over load the chamber, you will have the same result of the spot falling of the slide.  The manufacturer should provide max volume limits for the mega funnels but again a very cellular specimen will create issues.  This has been our experience with cytospins.

Joe W. Walker, Jr. MS, SCT(ASCP)
Anatomical Pathology Manager
Rutland Regional Medical Center
160 Allen Street, Rutland, VT 05701
P 802.747.1790  F 802.747.6525
joewalker at rrmc.org, www.rrmc.org
Our Vision:
To be the Best Community Healthcare System in New England
Our Commitment to our Community: We Listen, We Respect, We Care . . . Always.
Joint Commission Accredited | Best Regional Hospital: U.S. News & World Report | Leapfrog Hospital Safety A Rating
ANCC Magnet Hospital Designation(r) | Healthgrades: Excellence Award for Patient Safety | Healthgrades: Outstanding Patient Experience Award