[Histonet] Disposal of Bouin's Solution

Bob Richmond rsrichmond at gmail.com
Thu May 11 17:39:22 CDT 2017

Lori Jones, CT(ASCP), Pathology Supervisor, Ingalls Memorial Hospital asks:

>>We use Bouin's Solution in our pathology department and are currently
disposing of it by neutralizing it with Vytac for formalin. I can't find
supporting documentation that this is the proper way to dispose of it. I'd
like to know if and how other institutions are neutralizing Bouin's
solution.<<

The best way to dispose of Bouin's fixative is by not buying it at all.
What do you use it for? There are substitutes for it for most purposes.

Bob Richmond
Samurai Pathologist
Maryville TN