[Histonet] Tissue Fixation

Morken, Timothy Timothy.Morken at ucsf.edu
Fri Mar 31 10:06:53 CDT 2017

Tim, I have to agree with Rene that the formalin or time in formalin is obviously not the problem - it has plenty of time in formalin (and who would dilute it anyway?). Handling before formalin must always be determined when problems arise. If the sample sits on a paper towel, gauze etc it does not really degrade faster, rather the tissue may dry out and so fixes by dehydration rather than by formalin. It may be the formalin cannot get into the tissue in those dried out portions of the tissue. However that is just speculation. Since these all seem to be from one particular client, the client is the place to start. The only way to determine the problem is to follow the specimen from start to finish. Can you or someone you trust physically observe the way samples are handled from the time they are taken to the time put in formalin? One issue I always run up against is people  saying they do one thing but actually doing another. And they may realize during questioning that they are not doing it right but don't want to admit it. It wastes a lot of time. I've had physicians tell me to ignore the part of the process they are responsible for because they do it right. I just tell them that to be complete we need to follow the process from start to finish, nothing personal, just business. Leaving any part out may lead to not resolving the problem. Probably 99% of the process is just fine, but that 1% is damaging the sample and needs to be illuminated.

Tim Morken
Pathology Site Manager, Parnassus
Supervisor, Electron Microscopy/Neuromuscular Special Studies
Department of Pathology
UC San Francisco Medical Center