[Histonet] low signal for long post fixation

koellingr at comcast.net koellingr at comcast.net
Thu Mar 23 10:21:55 CDT 2017

Mariela,

(1) If you are looking at enzyme activity of a LacZ transgene to localize with X-gal staining, I found the situation really a problem with extended fixation times of vibratome sections (like you with controls or test article). Have never been able to "retrieve" that kind of staining. Maybe someone out there knows the trick. Especially bad in low-level integration of transgene.
(2) I have though gone after the enzyme with just traditional IHC to B-galactosidase (there are good antibodies available. And as Rene said, increase your antigen retrieval which will (might, should) bring back the antigenic sites for IHC. But for the enzyme activity, I've never had much luck at that.

Ray Koelling
Faculty lecturer, WWAMI, UW School of Medicine, Spokane, WA