[Histonet] Happy Histotechnology Professionals Day!

Monson, Frederick FMonson at wcupa.edu
Mon Mar 13 12:16:42 CDT 2017

And I, "O>>>>>" scary one, is following your class by leaving 38 days BEFORE I will be 78.
You really are old!?""@
In my family, retirement has appeared to lead directly - one way or another - to demise, and I have yet to discover anyone who has turned the inevitability of that ending.  So, I have contrived to take advantage of all that time by doing things that previous family have avoided.
          1.  I have mapped out a morning walk that is 10 miles from my house but the required exact 1 mile - thus, I will return to my car when it is finished.
          2.  I will return to our home and ride my bike around the block that is NOT a mile and has no traffic.
          3.  I am purchasing a digital camera to capture images from all of my sections - kept from 1965 to the present.  Since this activity is considered a punishment for putting it off for so long, it is clear that the effort will be life prolonging.
          4.  I have been practicing my aiming at 100 yards for several years now, and I will have time and energy to allot more time so that I can reach my  goal of hitting the bull's eye with 5 rounds in 1 minute.  I have already made it clear that I will not leave this effort undone for any reason.  To make this effort fun, I will load my own rounds to a tenth (0.1) of a grain.  {You would think that we would have left weighing by seeds behind us now that we have grams; but I guess we will go to any length to avoid using metrics.
         4.a.  I have never been punished for joining the USMC when I needed a vacation from from the rigors of Lehigh University.  I enjoyed that hiatus so much that I have always called Paris Island, "Pleasure Island."  My older son joined as well, but he calls it:  "The bad place."  He has placed his 5 rounds in the bull's eye many times, and that explains my goal to achieve it just once.
         5.  Finally, I have signed a witnessed paper, under duress by my wife, that I will not go first, and I do try not to break promises to her.

I hope that you have a similar set of activities in your plan.  However, if not, then would you like one of my ICS microtomes (at 2 micron intervals) to keep your hand in  rotating (otherwise known as 'cranking')?  BTW, has anyone EVER made a microtome for a lefty?  Ah!  If you were a lefty Bob, you would be a pathologist, because you were never comfortable cutting sections!  Wow!  I never thought of that before.

Cheers and reciprocating best wishes,

Fred Monson

Frederick C Monson, PhD
Center for Microanalysis and Imaging, Research and Training (CMIRT)
West Chester University of Pannsylvania
West Chester, PA, 1938
610-738-0437
fmonson at wcupa.edu