[Histonet] Competency Testing

Charles Riley criley at dpspa.com
Wed Jun 21 19:53:35 CDT 2017

Does anyone  perform in lab competency testing, not for accreditation
purposes but for technical skill levels and staff assessment?

If so what skills do you assess and how do you assess them. I am looking to
create an assessment for embedding and microtomy but don't know where to
set the bar for competency levels.

I currently have 1 tech who just graduated a NAACLS accredited program but
is uncertified. 1 tech who has been out of the same program for 2 years and
certified HT for 1.25 years, 1 tech who is out of the same program for 3
years and certified HT for 3 years, and one job trained tech with 1.5 years
experience.

If anyone could give me a suggestion as to what they think would be good
goals to set at these stages I would greatly appreciate it

--

Charles Riley BS  HT, HTL(ASCP)CM

Histopathology Coordinator/ Mohs