[Histonet] Breast specimens

Bob Richmond rsrichmond at gmail.com
Mon Jan 30 15:46:22 CST 2017

Charles Riley HT(ASCP)CM asks:

>>What is the best way to handle breast specimens that were grossed too
thick
and did not process well? Our medical director does not want us to
reprocess the tissue but it is almost impossible to get even a remotely
decent section. If anyone has any other tips please let me know as soon as
possible.<<

This 78 year old pathologist says, no sympathy, make your pathologists cut
'em right in the first place.

I agree reprocessing is undesirable, but sometimes there's no other way to
get a section. I'm not sure I've ever had to have a case of my own
reprocessed, but I sure have with cases I've inherited from a departing
pathologist. Show your pathologists their miserable blocks if they don't
agree.

Bob Richmond
Samurai Pathologist
Maryville TN