[Histonet] Quality Assessment (QA)

Elaine allison Hoffman elaineahoffman55 at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 6 14:20:32 CST 2017

 Hello Histonetter's and Happy New Year!
I have a question concerning Histology Quality Assessment (QA) and what that would look like.  We are a tiny GI histology lab that has been opened for only a few years.  My last CLIA inspection last month went well, but the inspector said that we needed to have a QA "proactive reviewof all phases of the testing process....preanalytic, analytic, postanalytic, and general laboratory systems".  In other words, she said "it's like doing a mini CLIA inspection on yourselves".  My question is how is the histology lab doing quality assessment (QA) and what does that look like?  I need some suggestions on how other histology labs are doing that and how is it documented?  I'm still learning these requirements on my own and don't really have anyone to guide me.  Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.  Thank you in advance for your help.
Elaine