[Histonet] grad student problem

Caroline Miller mills at 3scan.com
Tue Jan 3 13:01:54 CST 2017

I hate to say it but I think these tissues are toast. It seems they had bad
fixation or handling to start with, and I would question whether the
tissues were left out to dry before fixation or freezing. Or whether they
got fixed and then sucrose infiltrated (which is my method of choice if the
antibody allows)

Also - what type of tissues? If it is lymph nodes then maybe there is too
much fatty tissue and that is why it is not sectioning.

I have had a hard time with T-cell markers in paraffin so I do see the
hesitation in paraffin embedding. If you do go that route then certainly
thaw in formalin, not straight water.

Not much help, sorry! But sometimes it is just better to go back and plan
the experiment properly in the first place than trying to mess around with
old bits of tissue - because even if you could get it on the slide, would
you really trust the results of the immunostaining???

Happy New Year All!

yours,
mills

--