[Histonet] Dispensing formalin

Terri Braud tbraud at holyredeemer.com
Tue Jan 3 07:43:06 CST 2017

For those of you working in smaller hospital Histology labs (not staffed 24/7) - How does your OR/Lab handle getting specimens into fixative?
We currently use small/med prefilled containers for smaller specimens.  Does the OR dispense formalin into larger containers?  Do you refrigerate unfixed specimens?  How do you handle specimens collected after pathology hours or on weekends/holidays if they are not fixed?
I'm just looking for alternative processes in trying to improve ours.  Thanks!
Terri
Terri L. Braud, HT(ASCP)
Anatomic Pathology Supervisor
Laboratory