[Histonet] square footage for formalin

Jeffrey Robinson JRobinson at pathology-associates.com
Mon Feb 27 17:48:39 CST 2017

Hi Alison-  many years ago I worked in a hospital.  We had a very small Frozen Section room in the OR.  We did keep a 5 gallon carboy of formalin in there for the convenience of the OR staff so they would have formalin available for their specimens.  We were told by someone in "authority" (sorry, can't remember who) that we needed to switch to 1 gallon formalin bottles in the FS room to lessen the chance of a spill.  As "luck" would have it, someone on the OR staff opened the last 5 gallon carboy before the switch went into effect and left it on its side. The spigot was barely open and the entire 5 gallons leaked out during the night.  They had to call in a HazMat team for cleanup as the fumes were overwhelming.  Speaking from experience, I would highly recommend switching over to 1 gallon bottles of formalin for OR use.  Jeff Robinson, Senior Histotechnologist, Sierra Pathology Lab, Clovis, CA.