[Histonet] Histonet Digest, Vol 159, Issue 20Subject: simple tests for xylene contamination and alcohol conc. in Recycled alcohol

Steve McClain SteveM at mcclainlab.com
Thu Feb 23 16:44:28 CST 2017

Eventually your recycler retort will become contaminated. When you suspect your recycled alcohol product is contaminated by xylene, here is one fairly sensitive yet simple test.

Use a 100 ml glass graduated cylinder
Add 50ml recycled 95%
Add 50ml water. Shake well.
When xylene is present it will form a thin layer on top. Cover w parafilm and let sit over night. Each ml of xylene=1%

A second test one can do is measure specific gravity by hydrometer in another 50ml sample and graduated cylinder.
Specific Gravity should be about 0.82 to 0.85.

Steve A. McClain, MD