[Histonet] Recycled reagents in VIP processor

Elizabeth Chlipala liz at premierlab.com
Wed Feb 22 15:29:49 CST 2017

We have been recycling for years now and have not had any adverse effects.  We have a VIP 3 and a VIP 6.  We do use fresh xylene for the cleaning cycle and we only recycle our 95 and absolute alcohols along with both xylene and propar.  We use a fractional distillation unit from CBG.  We have a specific procedure that we follow so that each xylene cycle is issued a lot number and we test all alcohol with a hydrometer and adjust to temperature prior to using it to prepare, 50, 70, 80 and 95% solutions, all of those when prepared are given lot numbers.  If you are NSH members and on the BLOCK my SOP's for reagent control, etc. are in the library.  We have decreased our costs for both reagents and waste disposal to me its works quite well if you manage it properly.  We have moved from a small quantity generator to a conditionally exempt small quantity generator since we started recycling.

Liz

Premier Laboratory, LLC
PO Box 18592
Boulder, CO 80308