[Histonet] overseas jobs

Jay Lundgren jaylundgren at gmail.com
Fri Aug 18 14:09:33 CDT 2017

It's not a matter of whether there is a shortage or not.  Most  western,
developed countries, unlike the US, have strict laws forbidding
non-citizens from working, which they zealously enforce. It is virtually
impossible for a foreigner to work (legally) in the EU, for example.
Canada has different educational and licensing requirements for histotechs,
as does Great Britain. (histotechs must have a BS in Great Britain)

  I know it is a very involved process for Americans to work in Australia.
You have to be in certain categories in which they have a shortage. You
would have to check with the Australian consulate.  I know you actually
have to have a job offer in one of these areas before you can apply for a
work visa, it's not like you just show up and start looking.

  Seems like most South American countries need a visa and work permit.  I
can only imagine the levels of red tape, corruption, and bribery you would
have to engage in.

Maybe Asia or Africa?  I wonder how much a histo job pays in the Congo,
where the average annual income is $422.?

Singapore and the Gulf States hire a lot of foreign workers, maybe you
could look into that.  Also Saudi Arabia, but you have to sign a long
contract and give up your passport.  They treat non-Saudi workers extremely
poorly, according to people I've known who worked there.  One co-worker
told me about his experience where the whole hospital staff was led outside
and forced to watch a non-Saudi doctor get publicly flogged.  (He had
examined a female patient without the requisite female relative in the
room.)

Good luck!