[Histonet] Return of Gross Only Specimens for Patient Use

ian bernard ian.bernard at comcast.net
Sat Apr 8 13:38:31 CDT 2017

1.       Per a patient request, before returning an amputated digit (toe) to
a patient, we will remove the 10 % NBF from the tissue by washing the tissue
in running water for how long?

2.       As an alternative, we can have the provider submit the gross only
toe in saline and then relinquish the toe to the patient, explaining that
ultimate degradation of the toe is inevitable unless fixed. Is there another
safe fixative alternative that  can preserve the toe, say 100% alcohol and
for how long?  The patient wants to keep his body parts for his burial.

3.       We will have the patient sign a  document explaining the exposure
risk to formalin fixed tissue as well as a release of medical records
request form. Your thoughts?

4.       Is there any other validated procedure to remove formalin from
foreign bodies devices or tissue before release to the patient?

Note: The transaction above will take place 2-weeks after the case has been
signed out and reported to the referring provider.  Your feedback?

v/r

IB