[Histonet] Processing cystic tissue

Bob Richmond rsrichmond at gmail.com
Wed Apr 5 15:53:21 CDT 2017

Charles Riley HT, HTL(ASCP)CM, a Mohs histopathology coordinator, asks:

>>Can anyone give me an idea how they process cystic tissues? The normal tissue
processes extremely well on my current protocol but the cystic areas just
are too soft to cut. Any tricks anyone can provide to process better or cut
better after processing would be greatly appreciated.<<

Whoever's grossing should remove most of the keratinous contents of an
epidermal inclusion cyst (or the contents of a pilar cyst), leaving a small
amount around the edge so that you don't disrupt the lining much. That's
what I do for myself. There's nothing to see in the keratin, and it
interferes with getting a good section.

The same reasoning applies to other cystic material, such as ovarian cysts.

Bob Richmond
Samurai Pathologist
Maryville TN