[Histonet] Modified Movat's Pentachrome stain

平田勝啓(HirataMasahiro) hiratama at kuhp.kyoto-u.ac.jp
Tue Sep 6 23:30:14 CDT 2016

Angela, I replace saffron with Gardenia Fruits Extract (Tokyo Chemical
Industry, TCI America in US, C1527) for Movat's and HES.
It has no C.I. number, but contains crocin dye (CAS 42553-65-1)
​extract the dye with ethanol (5-6g/100ml) for 2-3days and filtrate.
I hope this will help
​ for you

Masahiro HIRATA
Department of Diagnostic Pathology,
Kyoto University Hospital
Kyoto, JAPAN
hiratama at kuhp.kyoto-u.ac.jp

> Message: 7
> Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2016 18:24:15 -0700
> From: Angela Lamberth <alamberth at lji.org>
> To: histonet at lists.utsouthwestern.edu
> Subject: [Histonet] Modified Movat's Pentachrome stain
>
> Hi Histonetters!
>
> I?m gearing up to perform a pentachrome stain. I will be making this in
> house and not using a kit. Through searching histonet, I?ve found a
> protocol used by the Children?s Hospital of Philadelphia Pathology Core.
> http://pathcore.research.chop.edu/docs/MovatPentachromeStain.pdf
>

> Two things:  Iodine crystals are out of the question. Can I replace that
> with Lugol?s iodine solution or should I just substitute Weigert?s for the
> hematoxylin in this protocol?
>

> Also, saffron vs tartrazine vs Orange G stain.  There is a real difference
> in price. Does anybody have a personal preference in terms of quality or
> aesthetics? Is paying the extra money for saffron really worth it?
>

> Thanks!
>
> Angela

平田勝啓 (Hirata Masahiro)
京都大学医学部附属病院病理診断科