[Histonet] Modified Pentachrome

Amos Brooks amosbrooks at gmail.com
Sat Sep 3 07:37:59 CDT 2016

Hi,
     I totally forgot to get the info about the safran Friday. I'll find it
when I get back on Tuesday. I just didn't want you to think I had forgotten
about you.
     A note about the safran; It is an anhydrous solution and upon making
it up one would think it was goofed up because most of the safran does not
dissolve. There is a reservoir of undissolved solute in the bottom of the
container. Filter off what you need (without resuspending it) and dump it
back to re-use. The solution lasts a really long time. If you are hesitant
about making any of the chemicals, I am sure Poly Scientific, American
Mastertech or one of the many other manufacturers would supply it.
     This is probably the least hazardous chemical you will use in
histology though. Short of the 100% ETOH used, it is the same stuff you
would use to cook with and as Rob Richmond correctly states it smells
delightful.
     By the way, good on you for making up your own chemicals. It is *much*
less expensive. Having done the math on this for tris buffered saline, most
manufacturers mark up the price literally 400%! For water... Really! The
first time you make something up it takes a bit of time making sure things
are going right. After that it is routine and is quick and efficient
reducing the labor cost factor. Thank you for keeping histology real :-)

Amos