[Histonet] Picrosirius Red

Bax, N.A.M. N.A.M.Bax at tue.nl
Tue Oct 18 07:26:43 CDT 2016

Dear Histosearch,

I just became a member and I hope you can provide me with advice. I'm really curious about the effect of not dissolving Direct Red 80 in 1.3% saturated Picric Acid but in 0.9-1.1% alkalimetric Picric acid solution. The reason why I'm curious is that I want to perform a staining on paraffin slides for Sirius Red and in my current lab they have Picrosirius red dissolved in 0.9-1.1% alkalimetric Picric acid, but the samples were I want to compare them to are stained in Picrosirius red made with the standard protocol with saturated Picric Acid.

I measured the pH of the Picrosirius Red made with 0.9-1.1% alkalimetric Picric acid and this is ~pH 2.0 and all the Direct Red is dissolved, so can I assume that the staining will be comparable to Picrosirius Red dissolved in saturated Picric acid?

Thank you very much in advance.

Best Noortje

Noortje AM Bax, PhD | Laboratory for Cell and Tissue Engineering  | Biomedical Engineering | Eindhoven University of Technology, P.O. Box 513, Groene Loper, Gebouw 15, Gemini-Zuid 4.108, 5600 MB Eindhoven,  The Netherlands | T: +31-40-2474830 | F: +31 40-2473744 |E-mail:  n.a.m.bax at tue.nl|<mailto:n.a.m.bax at tue.nl%7C>