[Histonet] Handling Breast Lumpectomy Specimens with radioactive seed localization

Normington Lacy LNormington at uwhealth.org
Wed Oct 5 14:35:17 CDT 2016

James,

Luckly our breast surgeons are good at notifying our Pathologists' Assistants when a case with radioactive seeds is sent to our laboratory.  Everything under the sun is labeled with radiation stickers, and additional stickers are provided with the tissue requisition.  We also have a chain of custody sheet that is delivered with the specimen.

1.       Since the lumpectomy is obviously "hot" what precautions are taken to remove the seed and give it back to radiology?

The individual removing the seed wears a radiation detection ring.  The ring is evaluated monthly by our radiation safety department.  The specimen is scanned with a survey meter to located all seeds.   Once the seed is removed, the seeds are placed in a lead lined PIG and stored in a locked safe within our gross room.  A representative from our breast center is required to pick up the seeds within 24 hours and document this on the chain of custody form.

2.       Does the pathologist  or pathology assistant remove the seed?

The Pathologists' Assistants performs the removal as they are required to perform CBT on radioactive safety training..

3.       After seed removal is the specimen handled similarly to a wire-located specimen.....In other words is the specimen then fixed for a period of time before grossing?

Yes, normal fixation procedure is followed.  Histology staff are notified of the case, however, no special radiation safety precautions are needed.

4.       How is the location of the seed marked in the lumpectomy specimen when the seed is removed?  Do the pathologists use an ink to mark the location, do they then fix the tissue as before?

We follow an inking protocol for lumpectomies, whether wire or seeds.

If you are interested in our procedure, please let me know and I can email it to you.

Lacy Normington, HTL(ASCP)CM
Manager, Surgical Pathology Lab Services
UW Health - UW Hospital
600 Highland Avenue
Madison, WI 53792-2472