[Histonet] Personel

Willis, Donna G. Donna.Willis at BSWHealth.org
Mon Nov 28 09:25:18 CST 2016

My interpretation of this is that for AP the "test" is the reporting of the results.  What is done in the Histology lab to prepare the slides is the pre-analytical portion of the test.

For the revised ANP. 21395 the pathologist is mentioning in the report the results of the controls therefore it is in concurrent with the report.  We still check our results before taking the slides to the pathologist.

Donna Willis, HT/HTL(ASCP)
Anatomic Pathology Manager

Baylor University Medical Center
3500 Gaston Ave|Dallas, Texas  75246
214-820-2465 office|214-725-6184 mobile
BaylorScottandWhite.com

-----Original Message-----
From: Jesus Ellin via Histonet [mailto:histonet at lists.utsouthwestern.edu]
Sent: Monday, November 28, 2016 8:04 AM
To: Morken, Timothy; Jennifer Valentine-Williams
Cc: Histonet
Subject: [EXTERNAL] Re: [Histonet] Personel

I hope that everyone had a great weekend and a good thanksgiving,,

Just to shed some light on the subject on the matter to have things in perspective,  when I called CAP and here is what the Rep shared with me,  it wasn't the interpretation  or the result but rather the QA/QC of the result.
See below:  now here is the rub on this, as a person doing Special Stains, IHC, Digital Path and ISH,,  we as TECH's QA/QC before we hand into the Pathologist, our controls are supposed to be reviewed by the tech to make sure the reaction took  place, we don't say it looks brown, or red, or hey the colorful,, WE confirm the reaction, cause if not we redo.  This is what ALSO the CAP states that we do because it does say Pathologist or Designee , and it's the QA/QC step.  By no means are we resulting or giving Diagnosis/interpretation.  This is where I am having trouble with this statement, about testing/interpretation,, it has nothing to do with that at all.  CLIA also doesnt define QA/QC , just resulting/interpretation.

They are the same Steps that are being followed on digital path, were imaging of the slides require a person of High Complexity testing to be doing the scanning.  Again this is another QA/QC step, so I get all the stuff about CLIA and reporting, but CAP is specific and we are doing the QA/QC of this testing.

I also had a conversation about whether Licensure was acceptable or not,,  without meeting the requirements, and I was told NO,, they need to meet the minimum requirements as stated in CLIA for high complexity testing,, again something to look at.

I then called ASCP to ask them about where they stood with this and was told we only do the licensure not the regs.

I called CMS to get a better understanding stating the issue, as for them the person interpreting and reporting is the Pathologist, but if CAP requires that the QA/QC be done with those regs,, then that is more than is required, but that is their regulation and to be adhered too.

Funny thing then when you go the CLIA website you get the high complexity testing, you can see where the testing methodologies are and can see when the test system came about.

I know this is going to be a debatable situation and I have to agree with Tim,, please standardize and let us know,, but it is clear what they are saying about results, testing , interpretation and now QA/QC..

Thoughts anyone,, but I see that this is going to change histology as a whole, since now this is being added too the mix.  I am not saying it is right or wrong,, but it does put forth effort that we need to classify what we do and also try to align the test system accordingly, because QA/QC is almost everything,, you can put this on instrumentation, protocols, procedures, etc.

Also what do we do with those that have been doing this for years,, that have the knowledge and also the background,, again I don't wish to open up PANDORA's box,, I also know we are all going to look at this differently,, but the facts are we are changing and if we do not own the processes we currently do, someone else will that's for sure.

Jesus Ellin

**REVISED** 08/17/2016
ANP.21395 Special Stains/Studies Phase II For special stains, including histochemical stains, and studies using immunologic and ISH methodology, positive and negative controls are verified and recorded as acceptable prior to or concurrent with the reporting of patient results and records maintained.

NOTE: Controls must be verified and recorded as acceptable by a pathologist or designee (provided the designee meets high complexity testing qualifications).

Positive tissue controls must contain the component specific to the special stain that is being applied to the specimen.
Immunohistochemical tests using polymer-based detection systems (biotin-free) are sufficiently free of background reactivity to obviate the need for a negative reagent control and such controls may be omitted at the discretion of the laboratory director following appropriate validation.
If interpretation of the special stain or study is performed by a different laboratory, there must be a procedure for the laboratory performing the stain or study to verify the acceptability of the controls before transfer, if the controls are not sent with the patient slides (regardless of the outside laboratory's accrediting organization). Records of this verification must be readily

ANP.23041 Testing Personnel Qualifications Phase II Personnel who are responsible for evaluating or accepting the imaging system data are qualified as high-complexity testing personnel.
NOTE: The qualifications to perform high complexity testing can be accessed using the following
link: CAP Personnel Requirements by Testing Complexity.
available to the laboratory performing the interpretation.