[Histonet] Personel

Morken, Timothy Timothy.Morken at ucsf.edu
Wed Nov 23 18:12:06 CST 2016

Jennifer, short answer:

It is not that histology is not a "high complexity test." The issue is, who is defined as "testing personnel." All histology tests are high complexity. But in anatomic pathology the pathologist is the only designated "testing personnel" according to CLIA regs because they are the only personnel interpreting and reporting results.

No one else in histology interprets or reports results, so all other work in histology is considered "processing."

The confusion between AP and Clin Lab is that Med Techs do report out results and so are "testing personnel" under CLIA.

CAP is trying to apply regs to AP that were written for Clin Lab. They not fit well....

Tim Morken
Pathology Site Manager, Parnassus
Supervisor, Electron Microscopy/Neuromuscular Special Studies
Department of Pathology
UC San Francisco Medical Center