[Histonet] embedding and microtomy "medical waste"

Morken, Timothy Timothy.Morken at ucsf.edu
Wed May 11 17:19:25 CDT 2016

Curt, we went through  the same thing, but for the embedding we keep a plastic bucket on the bench and lined with a biohazard bag, and put all the lids and papers in that. We keep those for a week in case some tissue ends up missing. Then it goes into the red cans.

At the microtome we do use the smallish plastic biohazard waste cans with self-closing lid. (https://www.fishersci.com/shop/products/eagle-step-on-biohazard-waste-containers-3/p-36261) They are now used to this and it is not really a problem. They are not allowed to prop them open. We tried red 5-gallon "paint can" type containers with fully removable lids, but the techs were required to put the lids on every time they moved away from the microtome. Of course that did not happen. Our safety people finally said we must have self-closing lids. We tried several kinds, even one that was auto-open with a sensor, but that did not open fast enough. The foot pedal works ok.

We went through the stainer water issue as well when we were considering the Ventana stainer that disposes directly to the drain. The city water department came in and checked out everything and passed it all off. He also gave us a lot of good info about what we can and cannot put down the drain here. Best to contact local authorities on that since it may be different than ours.

Tim Morken
Pathology Site Manager, Parnassus
Supervisor, Electron Microscopy/Neuromuscular Special Studies
Department of Pathology
UC San Francisco Medical Center