[Histonet] Cytology/Histology Staining Question

Mullen, Mary mullenmk at mail.magee.edu
Tue May 10 09:54:55 CDT 2016

Hello all,

I work in a small, low volume community hospital and was recently asked by a coworker why we do not just run both our cytology and histology slides on the same automated stainer (with their respective protocols).

What I am wanting to know is if there is anyone currently running both staining protocols on a single automated stainer using common alcohols/xylenes/water? What are the pros/cons? Has there been any cross-contamination issues?

We only run non-gyn cytology, all gyn cytology is sent out.

Thanks,

Mary K. Mullen, HTL(ASCP)CM
Histotechnologist
UPMC Northwest