[Histonet] Skin billing

Terri Braud tbraud at holyredeemer.com
Wed Mar 9 12:40:25 CST 2016

Our institution follows the CPT coding and associated billing, just as you explained. For those surgeries done within our facilities, there is a specific list of specimens which must be submitted.  This was agreed upon by med staff and is listed in the bylaws, in response to the following CAP question:
ANP.10032	Surgical Pathology Microscopic Exemptions	Phase I
There is a policy regarding what types of surgical specimens (if any) may be exempt from microscopic examination.
NOTE: Irrespective of any exemptions, microscopic examination should be performed whenever there is a request by the submitting or attending physician, or at the discretion of the pathologist when indicated by the clinical history or gross findings.  If there is such a policy, it should be approved by the medical staff or appropriate committee.  Typical exempt specimens include foreskins in children, prosthetic cardiac valves without attached tissue, torn meniscus, varicose veins, tonsils in children below a certain age, etc.
As far as physician's offices and the rules that regulate them, I don't know. Generally, the 88302 and 88304 are lesser charges anyway. I hope this helps.
Sincerely, Terri
Terri L. Braud, HT(ASCP)
Anatomic Pathology Supervisor
Laboratory