[Histonet] B-Plus fixative

Bob Richmond rsrichmond at gmail.com
Fri Mar 4 13:29:41 CST 2016

Carolyn Demarinis at Saratoga Springs NY asks: >>I am considering using
B-Plus fix for our bone marrow biopsies in place of Bouin's fixative and I
would like feedback. Please let me know your procedure for bone marrow
biopsies and if it is necessary to decalcify the bone marrow biopsies
following the B-Plus fix.<<

There really isn't any bone marrow fixative you can use today that's
significantly better than neutral buffered formalin. Adequate fixation and
properly controlled decalcification are essential, and result in a day's
delay if the specimen doesn't get in fairly early in the morning.

B-Plus fixed specimens require decalcification. You really can't combine
fixation and decalcification in a single step.

Bob Richmond
Samurai Pathologist
Maryville TN