[Histonet] Eosin to help see tissue better

Cassie P. Davis CDavis at che-east.org
Fri Jun 24 13:19:29 CDT 2016

 Hello Rebecca,

Reguarding the following message:

"I had a biopsy today that was nearly impossible to see on the sponges during embedding or in the block.  I've heard mention of marking these with eosin to make them easier to see.  Has anyone done this?  Or do you use some other type of marking dye for this purpose?
Thanks for your input!
Rebecca"

I have worked at a few  places that have put 4-10 cc in the last alcohol of the processor and it is a great help with those tiny, white biopsies and the very thin prostate biopsy cores. It is put in the last alcohol because if you put it any of the solutions before the last alcohol it will be washed out. It does not overstain your tissue because it is removed during the depariffination and dehydration steps before staining.

A word of caution, we now  have a Peloris processor and were told if we put Eosin on the processor it will invalidate our warranty so I would check before doing it.  We greatly miss that pink tint in the tissue, it made it much easier to embed and face as well as section.

Cassandra Davis
Histology Technician
Anatomical Pathology Laboratory
Saint Francis Healthcare
701 N. Clayton Street
Wilmington,DE 19805
Office:  302-575-8095
Email:  CDavis at che-east.org<mailto:n at che-east.org>
www.saintfrancishealthcare.org

Confidentiality Notice:
This e-mail, including any attachments is the property of Trinity Health and is intended for the sole use of the intended recipient(s). It may contain information that is privileged and confidential.  Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure, or distribution is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please delete this message, and reply to the sender regarding the error in a separate email.