[Histonet] HT Certification

Terri Braud tbraud at holyredeemer.com
Wed Jun 22 11:51:51 CDT 2016

Wow, you sure picked a doozy of a subject.  Unless you work in a state that has specific licensure requirements, there really is nothing to prevent a non-certified Histology tech from doing the same duties as a certified tech
In my opinion, it's more a matter of skill sets, and as we all know, there are certified techs that couldn't cut their way out of a paper bag, just as there are non-certified techs that are Histology wizards.  The question is one of training and commitment. I do think that there are certain duties that could be set aside for certified techs, such as validation of controls and antibodies, Quality Assurance activity monitoring.  The difference will always be those who understand the theory behind the work.  At least with certification, there is a minimal standard for training and commitment. A good indicator of your institution's commitment to certification is their hiring practices for phlebotomy or Nurses aids - Certified or not?  If you have them and they are certified, then ask why.  Histotechs have always been the evil step children of the laboratory system.  Your institution should take pride in having a certified staff, but if they don't care, it will be an uphill battle to instill that commitment.
Best of luck, Terri

Terri L. Braud, HT(ASCP)
Anatomic Pathology Supervisor
Laboratory