[Histonet] Cytology specimens

Terri Braud tbraud at holyredeemer.com
Wed Jun 15 13:15:09 CDT 2016

We used to have problems with fluids/orders, but what we put in place seems to be working.
1. All fluids are received by central processing.  If a fluid has no orders, then central processing calls to have the orders put in. Cytology does not accept fluids without orders. We also encourage (though not required)  the physicians to fill out a "Fluid Checklist" to accompany the specimen.  Central processing insures that the orders were placed correctly according to that sheet, and rectifies any problems or conflicts.
2. Fluids are aliquoted  in central processing for all tests ordered with the exception of a specimen to be shared by Micro and Cytology, then it is send to Micro with a "Shared" sticker and the AP order stickers accompanying the specimen.  Micro takes what they need and passes the specimen on to us.
3. In cases of large volume fluids, central processing aliquots the fluid for all the departments and then sends the large balance for any cytology orders
3. With the exception of a urine, which receives a Thin Prep only, all fluids are prepared with a Thin Prep and if possible, a cell block.
4. With the exception of a urine, if the specimen is large, after the preps our techs will pour off a 50 ml aliquot into a sterile tube, label and refrigerate for 2 weeks.
5. The balance of bulk fluids are discarded after processing.
I hope this helps.
Terri

Terri L. Braud, HT(ASCP)
Anatomic Pathology Supervisor