[Histonet] Over-processing of brain tissue

Wheelock, Timothy R. twheelock at mclean.harvard.edu
Tue Jun 14 08:33:02 CDT 2016

Good morning everyone:

I seem to be having problems with over-processing of brain tissue.
I use a VIP6 processor.
I start off with 1 hour each of 30%, 50%, 80%, and 95% isopropanol.
Then half-hour each of three changes of absolute isopropanol.
Then half hour each of three changes of xylene.
Then half-hour each of 4 changes of Paraplast.

I use a slow mixing cycle and no vacuum-pressure for all reagents except the paraffin.
For the paraffins, I use vacuum pressure, but no mixing cycle.

I rotate the paraffins during each run of tissue.
I replace the dilutions of isopropanol after I have processed 500 blocks.
I rotate the absolute isopropanols and xylenes after 500 blocks as well.

When I embed the brain tissue, it sometimes seems a little stiff, or even a bit brittle, to one extent or another.
When I trim the blocks, they seem somewhat dry. Once in a while there is even a saw-dust effect.
Before I section the blocks, I have to keep them on ice for at least 3 hours before they are moist enough to cut.
Even then, the first case (out of 5 cases) shows chatter in the cerebral cortex.
When I examine the stained sections microscopically, even the best sections look a little "rough" or dry.
Taking microscopic images can be difficult at 40x ( or even 20x) because all this roughness shows.
The brain tissue looks "granular" rather than smooth, especially with a LHE stain.

I have continued to reduce the times to their present values, but it still does not seem enough.
I absolutely love the VIP6, but it is a much more powerful machine than the Shandon Hypercenter XP that I use to have.
Perhaps I have still not fully compensated for this power.
It has 4 paraffin reservoirs rather than 2 on the old Hypercenter, and the reagent reservoirs hold twice as much volume.

Any ideas on how to resolve this problem?
Should I reduce the times further?
Should I alter the use of the mixing and/or vacuum-pressure?

Thanks for any help that you can give me.

Tim

Tim Wheelock
Assistant Director, Neuropathology
Instructor of Neuroanatomy