[Histonet] Histonet Digest, Vol 152, Issue 13

Bob Richmond rsrichmond at gmail.com
Sat Jul 16 10:15:58 CDT 2016

Jeff Halstead at Oregon Health & Science University asks:

"Some time ago info on the list discussed placing eosin or other dyes in
the processor and I was wondering what everyone is actually using. Heard
safranin o was a good idea . any thoughts?"

Some time ago I worked in a lab that used safranin O to mark small tissue
specimens, putting them on blue foam pads, marking them with a drop of dye,
and processing through xylene (or aliphatic substitute - I don't remember)
with an ancient Fisher processor. Both they and I were happy with the
results. They used the safranin O solution their microbiologists used in
the Gram stain.

Bob Richmond
Samurai Pathologist
Maryville TN