[Histonet] Microtomes

Cooper, Brian bcooper at chla.usc.edu
Wed Jan 27 15:55:47 CST 2016

This has been a Histonet post in the past; techs are fiercely loyal to their favorite brand and I'm sure you'll see people disagree with me as soon as I hit send!

I prefer Microm.  In our experience, block alignment is easier with the Microm's because the X and Y axis orientation knobs are positioned in such a manner that you can adjust block orientation with your left hand while your right hand is on the flywheel.  This allows you to keep a constant sight line of the entire depth of the block face in relation to the knife.  With the Leica microtomes, the positions of these screws are moved to the right, and the orientation of the Y axis requires you to either use two hands at once, or for you to move your left arm across your sight line to orient the Y axis.  While certainly not insurmountable; this just makes block orientation take a little longer.  Since we frequently have to recut blocks from different institutions, this is a big deal here.  I'm sure the peeps from the other camp are going to say that it's all in the technique.  To that I say, YEAH, YEAH, YEAH!!!!  :)

Both of these machines are well designed and will provide years and years of excellent service as long as they are well maintained.  The best thing you can do is ask to demo both machines and see what you like best.

Good luck!

Brian D. Cooper, HT (ASCP)CM | Histology Supervisor
Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine
Children's Hospital Los Angeles
4650 Sunset Blvd MS#43- Los Angeles, CA 90027
Ph: 323.361.3357     Pager: 213-209-0184
bcooper at chla.usc.edu