[Histonet] microtome issues: thick and no sections

Tyrone Genade tgenade at gmail.com
Tue Jan 19 15:31:30 CST 2016

Hello,

I am having a problem with sectioning.

I'm cutting 5 um sections but with the turn of the microtome I will miss
the block, or take a small piece of the block/tissue and then the next
section ends up thick. This missing can take several turns of the wheel so
I can get really big sections. I have checked the angle of the knife to the
block and the tension along the blade but these are fine. I worry that the
issue might be temperature. The microtome is on a bench against an outside
wall. The temperature is about 15 oC. Could this be the issue?

I am not cooling the block on ice. Previous experience with block-cooling
was that I would get thick and thin sections that way... this is a very
different problem.

Thanks

--
Tyrone Genade