[Histonet] Politics in the Lab ; Turn around times vs Scientific sanity

John Smallwood smallwood.john at gmail.com
Sun Feb 28 07:54:20 CST 2016

 What are people using for minimum fixation times in
NBF 10% for tissues in a routine mixed sample load Histology Lab, on a
routine VIP 5000 processor
                    I have concerns1.) for Bio-safety,2.)
Immunohistochemistry, 3.) Routine samples nuclear staining (no alcohol
fixation ),4.) Sample firmness prior to grossing.

                    We handle approximately 6000mixed  samples a year.
The gamut ranges from Breast,Bowel to ECC's.
                   The technologists have been given the
responsibility within the last year for grossing or sampling smaller
samples. - Bx's, skins and Hernia sacs.

                    The Management has been more concerned about turn
around times for Surgical samples, than any of the other Scientific
concerns noted above.

                     This journal article is purported to recommend a
minimum of 24 hours fixation;

                     Goldstein NS, Hewitt SM, Taylor CR, Yaziji H,
Hicks DG. Recom-
                     mendation for improved standardization of
immunohistochemist-
                     ry. Appl Immunohistochemistry Mol Morphol 2007;
15:124-33.

John Smallwood, MLT.
STEGH Gen. Hosp.
St.Thomas,