[Histonet] Double stain IHC question

Judi Ford jford at cytomx.com
Fri Feb 19 18:53:37 CST 2016

Hi everyone,
I have a question in chromogenic double staining. Here is the situation.
                Tissue = human, frozen
                Antibody = same protein (A)

1.       Commercial antibody of A

2.       Homegrown antibody of A, human, biotinylated

Question: can you stain both versions of this antibody on the same tissue, same slide? Goal is to see where each stains in the tissue and if they co-localize. If they do co-localize then how do you distinguish between that and where they stain individually? Would you use different chromogens and hope that where they come together it turns a different color?
I am really interested if this can work. Thanks in advance for any replies.
Judi
South San Francisco, CA