[Histonet] Pap stain quality

Bob Richmond rsrichmond at gmail.com
Thu Feb 4 12:25:39 CST 2016

Charles Riley HT(ASCP)CM, Histopathology Coordinator/ Mohs, Doctors
Pathology Services, Dover DE asks:

>>Not sure if anyone out there would know the answer to this. We are having
an issue with our PAP stained slides appearing too orange and looking aged.
If you have any idea for causes I appreciate any help.<<

The Pap stain (short for Papanicolaou, not an acronym, not capitalized)
requires frequent adjustments - it's somewhat finicky at best. A
cytotechnologist should know how to trouble-shoot the Pap stain - if you're
using the stain, I suppose you have a cytotechnologist available.

Bob Richmond
Samurai Pathologist
Maryville TN