[Histonet] Adding glycerol to concentrated antibodies

Allan Wang allanvv at gmail.com
Mon Dec 19 13:57:50 CST 2016

Hello all,

I noticed CST sells most of their antibodies with 50% glycerol and
recommends -20C storage and no aliquoting. They remain in liquid form in
the freezer. A little bit more difficult to pipette precisely due to the
viscosity and temp difference, but it seems like a good trade-off for easy
handling and storage. Some other manufacturers also supply with 40% or 50%
glycerol, but only for a few antibodies and it isn't common.

Has anyone experienced problems with their antibodies from adding glycerol
1:1? I know they shouldn't be more than 1% or so in the final working
solution, but given that most IHC antibodies are diluted 1:100 or greater,
this doesn't seem to be an issue. I tested on a few antibodies I had and
saw no difference in staining, but I haven't done long-term testing yet.
I'll probably add a little bit more sodium azide too.

Thanks,
Allan