[Histonet] RTU antibodies with 1+ year expiration date

Morken, Timothy Timothy.Morken at ucsf.edu
Mon Dec 5 17:37:47 CST 2016

To the specific question of if lab-made predilutes will last longer than two weeks. Yes they can. But be sure you are using reasonably sterile technique so they don't become contaminated. Then validate how long they last.  I know of one lab in the "old" days of manual staining that kept their antibodies in Coplin jars in the fridge and used them for many weeks.  They just pulled out a particular antibody jar and added slides when that antibody was ordered. It made bulk manual staining much easier.

I agree with all Tony writes below. One observation from experience working for a vendor of antibodies... While vendors test for reasonable shelf life, the fairly standard 2-year expiration date is implemented more to limit a vendors liability than indicate actual shelf life. We tested ours for up to 4 months in a 60 C oven and I rarely saw one fail. Indeed, some, as Tony noted, became better with age and heat!

While those of us who have worked in IHC for many, many years know that most modern antibodies are very stable, and, if frozen, good for decades, the various inspection agencies are very focused on expiration dates. Part of that may be ease of enforcement (not having to look though hundreds of pages of revalidations) and part not trusting labs to do good revalidations. And many labs would much rather not revalidate since it takes work to do and if you have many antibodies, it could be a lot of work (we have over 250 on our menu). Much easier to get new ones. We don't revalidate, but we also make every effort to only have on hand that which will not expire before used. We have very few that have so few orders that the vial lasts 2 years. And we still dilute a fair number that are not available as predilutes from our instrument vendor.

And thanks for all the references!

Tim Morken
Pathology Site Manager, Parnassus
Supervisor, Electron Microscopy/Neuromuscular Special Studies
Department of Pathology
UC San Francisco Medical Center