[Histonet] Exciting Career Opportunity
Kowsz, Kim P
kim.p.kowsz at pfizer.com
Wed Aug 24 19:22:37 CDT 2016
Job Title : DSRD Pathology Technician (T2) - ASCP (HT)
Job Id : 1032966
Locations : United States-Connecticut-Groton
Please apply on-line at our website: www.pfizercareers.com.
A career at Pfizer offers opportunity, ownership and impact.
All over the world, Pfizer colleagues work together to positively impact health for everyone,
everywhere. Our colleagues have the opportunity to grow and develop a career that offers both
individual and company success; be part of an ownership culture that values diversity and where
all colleagues are energized and engaged; and the ability to impact the health and lives of
millions of people. Pfizer, a global leader in the biopharmaceutical industry, is continuously
seeking top talent who are inspired by our purpose to innovate to bring therapies to patients that
significantly improve their lives.
The Pathology Technician is responsible for performing accurate, high quality
necropsy/histology study work for rodent and non-rodent safety studies in compliance with the
study protocol, Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs), Good Laboratory Practice (GLP)
regulations, Environmental Health and Safety (EHS) standards, animal welfare regulations, and
departmental policies/procedures. The pathology data collected and processed on these studies
by the Pathology Technician enable candidate selection, first-in-human studies, 13-week studies
and early research and target safety and investigative work.
* Perform all regulatory responsibilities in compliance with applicable regulatory standards
including animal welfare regulations.
* Responsible for performing all aspects of the necropsy/histology phase of rodent and nonrodent
safety studies including study set up, animal handling and anesthesia/euthanasia, sample
collection (e.g. Blood, urine, CSF), necropsy, tissue trimming, processing, slide cutting, staining,
data collection and documentation, data quality control review, and preparation of
necropsy/histology data for archiving.
* Read, understand and follow the study protocol and understand connection between study
protocol and PDS protocol which is based on the study protocol.
* Serve as Study Coordinator for studies depending on level and experience.
* Begins to manage multiple assignments/projects simultaneously while maintaining data quality.
Meet timelines under limited supervision.
* Ensure proper supplies and equipment are available and suitable for study conduct functions;
generate forms, labels, and other materials needed for study conduct as required.
* Responsible for use of equipment, e.g. balances, tissue processors.
* Communicate with Management, Study Director, Comparative Medicine and support personnel
to ensure compliance with all protocol driven activities, high quality animal welfare practices are
followed, and to enable proactive adjustment of the protocol by the Study Director in the event
of unexpected events or findings.
* Completes self review of necropsy/histology data for accuracy and completeness against the
protocol; appropriately documents and corrects data errors, notifies appropriate study personnel
* May completes peer review of necropsy/histology data collected by others depending on
experience and level.
* May assist in preparing data for QA audits and addressing and drafting responses depending on
level and experience.
* Adheres to all applicable company and unit policies and procedures
* Ensures work areas are kept clean and orderly.
* Meets established timelines for deliverables.
* May reviews and recommend updates for departmental SOPs, may draft updates to SOPs
depending on experience and level.
* Participates in a culture of continuous improvement within assigned work group.
* Other activities as delegated by Test Facility Management.
* Overtime, weekend and holiday work will be required.
* Strong functional/technical skills
* Performs effectively as a team member; accurately records data; effectively follows verbal and
written instructions; maintains a positive work atmosphere; communicates effectively; and
interacts in a professional manner with management, colleagues, and customer and partner
* Strong organizational and time management skills, ability to handle multiple projects
simultaneously while maintaining data quality and meeting timelines.
* Ability to work effectively in a collaborative, team oriented environment and to meet study
* Strong interpersonal and communication skills.
* Demonstrates consistent knowledge of regulatory requirements such as GLP and animal
welfare (eg. USDA) regulations.
* Has technical knowledge of in vivo general toxicology safety studies.
* Is multi-skilled and has a working knowledge of operations across the business to support
collaborations with team groups and partner lines (e.g. Comparative Medicine, PDM, Clinical
Pathology, In Vivo Toxicology, Formulations) etc.
* Ability to conduct the necropsy/histology sections of moderately complex in vivo rodent and
* Ability to handle multiple projects simultaneously, maintaining a high quality of data and
timely delivery of results
* Proficiency in laboratory equipment and data collection tools.
* Ability to recognize, document and resolve data errors.
- HT Certification
- Training in histology/necropsy and/or performing other laboratory techniques for in vivo
studies in multiple species (rat, mouse, dog, NHP) in a GLP environment.
- Use of electronic data capture systems, spreadsheet applications or other data management
* High School with >5 years in animal facility; or Associates Degree (US) or equivalent in
biology, veterinary technology, or related field with 2-5 years related experience; or
* BS in biology or related field with 0-2 years related
More information about the Histonet