[Histonet] Specimen submission pads

Bob Richmond rsrichmond at gmail.com
Mon Apr 18 12:42:23 CDT 2016

The blue pads shouldn't introduce artifacts if the tissue is properly fixed
before placing the tissue on them.

One service I worked on marked the specimens on the blue pad with a bit of
safranin O solution (the microbiology Gram stain counterstain - don't use
eosin, because it's fluorescent).

Does anyone use a stereo microscope or other visual aid to orient small
bowel biopsy specimens when embedding?

I heard of the cucumber technique many years ago, but have never seen it
used. As I recall, the cucumber slices weren't used fresh, but were stored
in alcohol. Gynecologists used this technique to orient cervical biopsy
specimens.

Telfa with GI specimens is a dreadful idea - the stuff traps specimens - a
major nuisance with 18 gauge needle prostate biopsy specimens. I want
NOTHING in the jar with the specimen.

Bob Richmond
Samurai Pathologist
Maryville TN