[Histonet] Specimen pads and medical blog post

Lester Raff MD LRaff at uropartners.com
Mon Apr 18 08:37:24 CDT 2016

Hal Hawkins wrote: "Way back when I was at Emory, the GI docs used to place their biopsies on freshly cut slices of cucumber.  The cucumber slices were fixed and processed with the specimen, cut nicely, and support the tissue in a perfectly flat orientation." We also did that for GI biopsies during my residency and it did do a nice job of maintaining orientation, though I assume it was a bit of a bother for the GI staff. I believe some dye was placed on the cucumber to make it more visible for the GI staff.  Not sure if is still done that way at my old hospital.

Medical Blog Post-pathology related

http://www.chicagonow.com/downsize-maybe/2016/04/when-cancer-is-no-longer-cancer/

Lester J. Raff, MD MBA
UroPartners