[Histonet] Eosin tissue marker on Peloris II

Bob Richmond rsrichmond at gmail.com
Sat Apr 2 12:46:16 CDT 2016

Jim Vickroy, Histology Manager, Springfield Clinic, Springfield, Illinois
asks:

>>Someone told me that you could not use eosin on the new Peloris II. Many
of us use eosin to color small biopsies during the process run. We have it
in one of the 95% ETOHs. Can someone explain why this can't be used in the
Peoris?<<

You shouldn't be coloring small biopsy specimens with eosin on any
processor, because eosin's brilliant fluorescence interferes with FISH
procedures (such as HER2 on breast cancers). If you want to use a red
marking dye, use safranin O. The solution the microbiologists use in Gram
stains works quite well, and is probably just across the hallway for you.

Bob Richmond
Samurai Pathologist
Maryville TN