[Histonet] Staples and Sutures

Angela Hall adhall at ael.com
Tue Sep 29 12:17:03 CDT 2015

Ken,

I'm, currently, checking our SOPs with updates from CAP.  The one that stuck out to me under "Quality Management", see below:

	**NEW** 07/28/2015
	ANP.10038  Anatomic Pathology Checklist 07.28.2015
	Tissue Sample Quality
	Phase II
	There is a procedure that describes the process by which histotechnologists 	provide feedback to submitting pathologists and pathology assistants on the 	quality of the gross tissue sections received for tissue processing.
		NOTE: Inadequate fixation, overly thick tissue sections, non-	decalcified bone, the presence of staples, etc., can lead to poor quality 	histologic sections and/or poor quality special stains/special studies.
	This requirement applies to both laboratories that gross tissue and perform 	all processing onsite, as well as laboratories that gross tissue and send it 	to another laboratory for processing, embedding, and sectioning (regardless 	of the outside laboratory's accrediting organization).
	Records of such feedback and corrective action taken when problems are 	identified may be incorporated into the laboratory's quality management 	program.

Angela D. Hall, BA, HT(ASCP)CM
Histology Department
American Esoteric Laboratories
www.ael-east.com
Tel +423 586 3240 ext 1019 or 1041 Fax +423 714 2001

This message and any files transmitted with it may contain privileged and confidential information intended only for the use of the addressee named above. If you are not the intended recipient of this message, you must not disseminate, copy or take any action in reliance on it. If you have received this message in error, please notify the sender  immediately.