[Histonet] ph electrode and PFA

Jeffrey Thompson JefThompson at salud.unm.edu
Wed Oct 14 13:42:07 CDT 2015

Hello,

I've read several protocols regarding preparation of 4% paraformaldehyde.

I have a question regarding the pH determination. Some protocls say to use pH test strips because PFA will 'ruin the pH meter' (presumably the electrode), some just say to use strips and most say nothing about how to measure pH.

I've come across some equivocal mentions of PFA damaging polymer barrel electrodes but not glass.

My questions: does paraformaldehyde solution preparation damage pH electrodes and if so, how?

Any replies would be most welcome

Thanks