[Histonet] Tissue Sample Quality - ANP.10038

Morken, Timothy Timothy.Morken at ucsf.edu
Wed Oct 7 14:49:16 CDT 2015

Banjo,

We use a form to inform pathologists/residents of tissue problems. Our SOP is that anything that is noticed at embedding or sectioning that either compromises quality or prevents proceeding is noted on the form and sent along to the pathologist/resident. If we cannot proceed due to quality problems we notify the pathologist/resident immediately (tho if it is 3AM we send an email and then page them around 8AM).

The form lists the common problems.
It is printed on bright yellow paper to stand out from the other paperwork.
It has a border consisting of pictures of a  hexagonal STOP sign to stand out.

The info is also entered in our LIS system as a QA flag for that specimen.

Tim Morken
Pathology Site Manager, Parnassus
Supervisor, Electron Microscopy/Neuromuscular Special Studies
Department of Pathology
UC San Francisco Medical Center