[Histonet] autoradiography frozen human brain sections fall off, white matter issue

Connolly, Brett M brett_connolly at merck.com
Fri Oct 2 09:07:45 CDT 2015

Hi Esther,

We do a lot of autoradiography on rodent, primate and human brains sections. Our protocol is similar to yours except we do not dry the slides after incubating in the buffer and before adding the radiotracer.

The experiment is performed with the slides in a rack and totally immersed in the solutions in staining dishes.

1. incubate slides in assay buffer 15 min.  at RT
2. add radiotracer to buffer, gently mix and incubate 90-120 min. at RT
3. wash  GENTLY (no agitation) in ice-cold wash buffer 3 x 3 min. We set up 3 containers and transfer the slides.
4. wash in ice-cold DI water 5 seconds.
5. air dry

The Superfrost gold slides are supposed to improve adherence and would be worth a try. It could be your other Superfrost slides are old or a bad batch...which I think has been experienced by some people on the list.

We do store our sectioned slides at -70C until use and then bring them up to RT the day of the experiment. They are sectioned, dried at RT for 15-20 min, and then store at -70C... No drying in the fridge.

Good luck,
Brett

Brett M. Connolly, Ph.D.
Principle Scientist,