[Histonet] Glass knife holder

Gayle Callis gayle.callis at bresnan.net
Tue Nov 10 13:57:31 CST 2015

Hi Jen,

If you can't find a glass knife holder for your microtome, try using a
disposable blade, low profile.   I know Linda Jenkins sectioned GMA embedded
tissue (Immunobed is a formulation of GMA)  with a disposable blade, but the
microtome has to be powerful enough to do the work.   If I remember
correctly, she used Sakura Finetek's AccuEdge low profile and very sharp,
but not the same microtome as yours.  It would certainly be worth a try with
whatever disposable blade you have in your lab before investing in the
expensive holder.   You will be picking each section off the blade one at a
time with a fine forceps, and then float it on RT distilled water.  A glass
staining dish has always worked for this.

Good luck and hope you have some success.

Gayle Callis

HTL/HT/MT(ASCP)