[Histonet] On-the-job-training of histotechnicians

Vickroy, James jvickroy at SpringfieldClinic.com
Mon Nov 9 14:46:54 CST 2015

Currently we are training new staff members that each have a Bachelor of Science in Biology.  According to the ASCP they can enroll to take the HT certification examination after a one-year period of on-the-job training.  Like in the past we have purchased Freida Carson's text, Histotechnology:  A Self-Instructional Text, and the workbook.  We are also using Carson's BOC Study Guide - Histotechnology Certification Examinations, and the ASCP Histotech flash cards.  I know that staff can successfully study this material on their own and can pass the HT certification because three of my past staff have already done this.  However I am looking for additional help, plans, a syllabus, curriculum guide, etc. to help facilitate the training of these new staff members.   They have quickly caught on to the practical skills of microtomy, embedding, and grossing however I am worried that we are not helping them to get the academic information that they need for certification.

As I previously said I know that  a person can get the certification by studying on their own but I also know that we are giving these people less time and instruction in the workplace.  They are busy helping with the daily workload and therefore any studying of the academic material is having to be done on their own time.   Any suggestions how to help these people without paying or having them enroll in an online Histotechnology program?

Jim Vickroy BS, HT(ASCP)

Jim Vickroy
Histology Manager
Springfield Clinic, Main Campus, East Building
1025 South 6th Street
Springfield, Illinois  62703
Office:  217-528-7541, Ext. 15121
Email:  jvickroy at SpringfieldClinic.com<mailto:jvickroy at SpringfieldClinic.com>

This electronic message contains information from Springfield Clinic, LLP that may be confidential, privileged, and/or sensitive. This information is intended for the use of the individual(s) or entity(ies) named above. If you are not the intended recipient, be aware that disclosure, copying, distribution, or action taken on the contents of this information is strictly prohibited. If you have received this electronic message in error, please notify the sender immediately, by electronic mail, so that arrangements may be made for the retrieval of this electronic message. Thank you.